Friday, August 6, 2010

Fight for all the wrong reasons

Firstly, I am proud to inform you that today marks the two month birthday of this blog. For you readers who have been with me since my introductory post, thank you. For you readers who have stumbled upon Business as Usual a little more recently, thank you. Huzzah for readers!

Today's post is going to be pretty short, since I'm going to see a friend of mine star in a production of Hair.

Science and religion. Wow do those two have a violent history. Science and religion always seem to be butting heads despite the fact that they both (to a certain extent) aim to do the same thing: answer questions about how and why we exist. You can argue that religion disproves scientific theories, that science disproves religious theories, or even that science and religion compliment each other.

I think people in both sides of the argument are so attached to the notion, the desire, of needing to be the right one, that they can't look at the others opinions well enough. I mean, the fact is, history proves that the Bible was not written by one person at the same time. But that doesn't mean that it has to prove that biblical teachings or events are false. I know that I'm biased in this argument due to the fact that I am an atheist and therefore I am a non-religious person, but I am spiritual, so I'm not a complete science worshiper. If science and religion worked together to answer some questions, I think the results would be magnificent. I mean, scientists and religious scholars are some of the smartest people out there. Imagine the potential that the two groups have if they put aside their differences. Science answers the how. Religion answers the why.

At least, that's what I've heard, and it makes sense to a certain extent.

I know it would be difficult, if not impossible, but I think a synergy between science and religion could be really powerful and wonderful. I don't see a reason for the two to be archenemies.

On that note, I must go have dinner now.

Cheers,

-T.A.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment