Wednesday, August 11, 2010

You get what you need

I had to make a really tough decision today. A decision that was (I think and hope) for the best, and the right one.

It's tough when your long term goals and your short term goals don't line up. I had to choose long term over short term today, even though short term is more fun and more exciting. But when it's not the right time for something, it's not. It's very hard when what you want and what you need are two different things. And it's hard to make the responsible choice of choosing what you need over what you want when what you want is right there in front of you.

Overall, though, I think it's good to choose what you need instead. It's different. You can choose the ice cream that you want to eat or the fruit that you know you should eat because it's healthier for you. And oh my god, what a pain in the ass choosing the healthier choice is, right? But it's better in the long run, I think. I haven't really got it all figured out yet. I wish the world were a simpler place, a world where Mick Jagger's words didn't ring quite as true. Life is messy and complicated and hard sometimes. From choices, big life changing choices, like getting married, to smaller choices, like the one I made, to small choices, like ice cream or fruit for dessert.

For now, however, knowing that I have made one good choice for now means that I get to choose ice cream today.

Dessert time!

Cheers,

-T.A.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment