Thursday, June 17, 2010

Don't mess with imperfection (part 2)

I finally found that poem of mine, so I thought I'd share it for today's post.

Perfection

she told me "nobody's perfect"
and though we may strive to be,
she is right.

but is she?

it seems to me that perfection
is that which everyone chases
and though a few may catch it
most of us simply give up.
but what is this thing we chase?
I think about what makes people perfect...

the way they listen.
the way they're always there to lean on,
and to catch you when you fall.
the way they laugh with you, at you, and for you.
the way they cry with you when the need arises,
or the way they just help you cry.
the way they always pick up the phone when you call,
or how they always call you back.
the way they are honest, loyal, steadfast, and calm.
the way they keep you from falling apart when they can
and the way they put you back together again when they can't.
the way they stick with you
through the hard times, the bad times, and the good times too.

the way they love you, just as you are.

the list goes on;
and as i think about it,
I finally realize,
all these things are merely ways of dealing with imperfection

if only she knew this
as she laughs at me
for saying that she's perfect.

little does she know
that what I'm really saying
is that she is perfect through my imperfection,
and that I am perfect through hers.

***

Please, keep in mind as you read this and critique it, I was 14 when I wrote this.

Cheers,

-T.A.D.

1 comment:

  1. Dearest cousin,

    Why is your poetry so much better than mine?

    Sincerely,
    ~P.I.

    ReplyDelete