Tuesday, June 29, 2010

I am not an addict

I swear. Obsessed? Perhaps. Addicted? Nah.

My obsession/addiction? Pixel Knight 2. What is it about these odd games that entrances me. Forcing my tiny character to kill again and again. It's a dog-eat-dog world out there. Flying eyeballs, zombies that throw fireballs at you. All in the name of evil. And it's my job to protect the world from these evils. I don't care what weapon I have, boomerang or sword, axe or orb.

I wouldn't say that I'm generally a video game addict. I'm a fan of some, but I don't claim any knowledge of what's hot in the gaming world. I enjoy games, but I don't seek them out or spend tons of money on them. I leech off of my sister's love and play Fable, or games on the PS2 that she asked for many birthdays ago. More often I find myself turning to Mindjolt games on Facebook or the versions of solitaire that are built into PCs. The only downside of the wonderful MacBook Pro I use now is the lack of said games.

Ah, of course there is my love for the traditional Pokemon games. But I don't consider those games in the same way that most other games are. There's something very different about being a trainer than there is about being the man doing the action. If it were available for Mac, I would probably buy the game Oblivion, since I've played it on some friends computers.

There are a small number of games that I truly enjoy and find myself struggling on the edge of obsession with, and I guess that's best. After all, being too easily obsessed would only lead to another addiction, which would lead to even more time spent in virtual realities and less in my own.

Speaking of my own reality, I have a dog to feed and walk.

Cheers,

-T.A.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment