Thursday, June 24, 2010

You feel like flying

I find myself getting caught up in the stress of life very often. I think we all do. That's why we find hobbies and interests; things to do when we're bored or when we want to relax. There are a lot of things I love to do, but I've recently discovered one big new one.

First of all, just to clear any confusion, I'm gonna start by saying something about my life. I have four gay parents. My biological mom and dad were married once, had my sister and then me, and then they separated, divorced, found out they were gay (not necessarily in that order) and are now each happy with a life-long partner. I was very young when all this happened, so I only remember meeting one of my parents, my second father, when I was around 7 years old. However, I would say that I feel equally attached to all my parents.

Anyway, that makes it make a little more sense when I say that my moms recently got interested in getting motorcycles. As of now, my step-mom (for lack of a better term) has a 250 bike and my mom has a 125 scooter. My step-mom and I love to go for rides, and she's the more comfortable of my mothers with riding, so she takes me all around.

There is no feeling like it in the world. I can honestly say it's the closest I've ever felt to flying. The wind inflates my sleeves and goes under my helmet and sunglasses and into my eyes and ears. I can see my face in the reflection of my mom's helmet, and my smile is always huge. I live in a beautiful place, and last night was an amazing ride. I could see the sun setting over the water. I could smell the ocean. I could taste salt on the air. It was like I was feeling everything I was normally feeling, but more of it, if that makes sense. I really wish I could articulate the amazing sensation, but I can't. I close my eyes sometimes and I feel like I'm in the air. Even breathing is amazing. You're inhaling as the air is pushed into you. You can smell when someone is grilling. You can hear the tires against the asphalt and the wind and the buzz of the engine. You can feel every turn and twist in S-curves.

I truly felt free last night. I felt like I was free to be whoever I want to be and do whatever I want to do. These rides make my mind whirl and think about profound things and I love it. I love feeling like I'm not tied down to anything; as though I could just float away. The only other thing I can say about motorcycles is that yes, there is a signal/handshake/thing when you are on a motorcycle and pass someone else on a bike. It's pretty awesome and enhances the feeling of being in a secret club or society of some kind.

The only other experience I can relate to a motorcycle ride is horseback riding. I'm not great, but I'm not awful either, and I've done a fair amount of riding. The horse I ride is pretty stubborn, but she can fly. It's different than a motorcycle, and wonderful in some different ways, but it's the closest I've got.

Cheers,

-T.A.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment