Thursday, June 10, 2010

I'm way too old to hate you

Why, when we grow up, are we expected to mature?

Yes, it's good to stop saying "you're not my mom" and "I HATE YOU FOR FOREVER AND MORE!" but I feel as though we lose much more than we gain with maturity. When we're kids, we are free to express ourselves and how we feel, even in inappropriate situations. When we're hungry or uncomfortable, we say so, not having to worry about what our host will think of the fact that they make us feel squirmy inside. I feel as though some perks of childhood are more useful to young adults (or old adults) than they are to kids. We don't savor our immaturity, not realizing that eventually it won't be okay to just start crying from exhaustion.

When we grow older, we suppress everything on the chance that what we feel or think makes OTHER people feel uncomfortable. We surrender our own comfort for those around us. But what's the point of this when everyone else (okay, some people don't keep it in) are suffering from the same discomfort? I'm aware that this idea is flawed: it's simply not appropriate to share EVERYTHING with everyone around us. But what's wrong with saying what's really on your mind? Instead, we have to say what we think the other people want us to say. Here's an example of when I think we should be allowed to share:

Most of my extended families lean more towards the Republican side of issues and people, etc. However, most of my close family leans the other way, including myself. Because of this, when family comes to town, we pretty much have a silent agreement to NOT talk about politics. However, some of my family fails to grasp this seemingly simple idea, and so political discussions run rampant, and I'm unable to say anything about how incredibly awkward I feel.

Imagine how much better life would be if we were able to come to some sort of worldwide agreement about what level of maturity to act upon. Another example, a common question is "How are you?" Well, I'm smart enough to know that if you ask me and you aren't pretty close to me, you aren't REALLY interested in how I am. And so we respond: Fine. Riiiiiight.
If everyone who said they were fine actually were fine, depression rates would be much lower. The number of short-tempered people in the world would me smaller. I could go on. I suggest the simple solution of not asking unless you really care. If this were so, you could feel free to answer honestly. Sometimes the honest answer is "fine" or even "great."

Let's immature people. Start being as honest as you were as a kid, regardless of the social stigma attached. Surround yourself with people of your maturity level, so you can be as uppity or young as you want to be. When you are hungry, say so. Needing to go to the bathroom shouldn't be something we're ashamed to say.

Stop repressing your feelings and express yourself.

Let's start a revolution.

-T.A.D.

2 comments:

  1. Made me think-I liked that.

    "Here's what I find about compromise -
    Don't do it if it hurts inside,
    Cause either way you're screwed,
    And eventually you'll find
    You may as well feel good;
    You may as well have some pride."

    ReplyDelete