Saturday, June 12, 2010

It won't be long...

...until I write a real, new, and creative post.

However, I've become quite exhausted and am going to fall back on sharing something I wrote some time ago. I know, I know, two pieces about friendship in less than ten days. But this is different, and is basically a two second guide to how I feel about making friends with yourself.

Making friends with yourself is probably the hardest relationship you'll ever have to forge. When you're a little kid you learn from your parents and your teachers how to make friends with other people. You are polite and kind and genuine, whatever that means. But no one teaches you how to love yourself. Or even how to just be friends with yourself. You can't really be polite to yourself, just like you can't really be rude. You can't share with yourself. Sharing in definition requires at least two people. Your parents don't teach you. So how do you do it? How do you learn to like yourself? It's not even on your radar when you're young, but then you find yourself in a position where you don't know yourself, and you sure as hell aren't friends with yourself. And you don't know where to begin.

If anyone has any insights on the topic, by all means, comment away.

I promise to write about what I intended to write about tomorrow.

Apologetically,

-T.A.D.

1 comment:

  1. Just say this to yourself: "I live with myself, and anyone who I put up with for as long as I have has got to be decent. In fact, I tell myself things that I don't tell anyone else, which makes me my best friend. And if I'm my best friend, I must be AWESOME to beat out all of my other friends. Hell, I'm the coolest person I've ever met, and not too hard on the eyes either."

    ReplyDelete