Thursday, July 8, 2010

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

A person's capacity to show their respect for others tells you a lot about the person.

My wonderings of respect today were brought on by a few conversations I had about my workplace. I love my work because I work in a fun place, where I am respected. And in all honesty, if I, as a seventeen year old girl, can be respected by my co-workers, two guys in their mid-thirties/early forties, then I think I have it pretty good. (I'm talking just about the guys I work with in the kitchen because they are most relevant to this post, not because I feel disrespected by my bosses)

I'm respected because I know when to haul ass and speed up and when I'm not doing something, I ask what I can be doing to be most helpful. My co-workers know this about me and so they respect me for my work ethic. But I like to think that working in a sometimes hectic kitchen is better than normal office relationships. We interact with each other a LOT and it really is a team sport, so respecting each other is important, and knowing each others likes and dislikes when it comes to jobs is important.

What I pride myself on a bit more, however, is that I've seen these guys trash-talk other employees at other time, (not that said employees didn't deserve it) and the fact that they feel comfortable enough with me that they can give me their honest opinions on someone's work habits. I don't feel like I'm ever being talked down to, which is something I really appreciate. We're told as kids to respect our elders, and I like the fact that with most elders, you can easily work out a mutually respectful relationship. I think it's easier to respect someone older than you because, chances are, they are smarter, stronger, and more educated than you are. When you can show respect to someone younger than you, it's the mark of something even greater and more important.

That's one of the reasons I think I'm popular among children in the 10-14 range. I don't treat kids like silly little kids, I treat them like my peers (for the most part). I play with them and respect them. You can't expect others to take you seriously or respect you if you don't show them the same kindess and consideration. Especially when you want to have a serious relationship or conversation with them. If you want to have a meaningful conversation with someone about religion or philosophy, you have to respect each other.

Wow. I have said the word or variations of the word "respect" now so many times that I don't think I can continue this post, even though I could talk about said word and the meanings of it for hours.

Sorry for my semi-depressing post yesterday, it wasn't a great day for me. (I know, surprising)

Cheers,

-T.A.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment