Saturday, July 31, 2010

100 years

Or rather, half of 100 years. Tonight we are going out to a fancy restaurant to celebrate my grandparents' 50th wedding anniversary. I think that's pretty amazing. Being married so long I mean.

To be true to my inner romantic, I must admit that my heart clings to the idea of everlasting love. I want to marry and have kids and be happy with the same person for a lifetime. Unfortunately, I've been growing up in a world where that's not really the norm anymore.

I have no problem with divorce. My parents divorced, and they are much happier for it. But that's not something I want. I'm not trying to say that anyone wants divorce, but that scares me. The idea of giving away my heart and then taking it back or, worse, getting it handed back to me broken, is a scary idea. So in this cynical bubble I create for myself, it's quite lovely to celebrate 50 years of love and life together.

My grandparents drive each other crazy sometimes, but they do love each other, and they match each other quite well.

Now I must go get cleaned up for dinner. I have to grab a shower before it's stolen by someone else. 10 people going out to dinner = lots of showers necessary.

Cheers,

-T.A.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment